Monday, March 2, 2015

Castaway On The Moon | 김씨 표류기


Allow me to sort of review a movie that’s been on my to-do list for forever. I never had the stamina to gather and arrange my thoughts every time I decide to write a review for this hence years has already passed~ but now I’ll be taking my sweet time to settle this once and for all.

Plot
from imdb
"After failing to kill himself by jumping off a bridge, the man is washed up on a deserted island in the middle of the river, but within view of the city's high-rises. He attempts to escape, but soon accepts his fate and the challenges in living on the island. A reclusive young woman, who takes close-up shots of the moon and has not left her apartment in years, spies him on the island and comes to think of him as her own alien.”


The movie tackles the issue of “isolation” in our modern day. We all can empathize because we’ve all been in the same boat at some point in our lives.
That time when we just gave up with the pressure and succumb to the comfort of isolation. It is admirable that we can always pick ourselves up, dust off the depression and somehow carry on. However, not all of us are so courageous. We all have our crippling problems and this movie perfectly mirrors the worst case scenarios hiding at the back of our heads. What do we do when all hope is lost? How do we find the meaning to go on?
This movie is not all that depressing though, just like many korean films it’s packed with great humor, heartfelt moments and cute romance. Not the typical romance~ but a romance for celebrating life and finding hope to live on.
The cinematography is also top-notch. I fell inlove with the whimsical visuals and magical realism it provides. This film is truly rare and one of a kind for me.
If you decide to watch this, instead of popcorn or chips, you might want to eat instant noodles while watching. This movie has a black bean noodle fetish and will leave you craving for it.


Thank you for reading~!





。◕‿◕。 Instagram// Tumblr// Twitter// Facebook// 。◕‿◕。

16 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the picture of the noodle packet in his hand, suddenly i'm now craving for it. my god. and i ran out..
    I've never actually heard of this movie, but it sounds interesting :) I may watch it when i stock up on jjapaghetti :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it actually sounds really interesting. But I've never heard of this movie though. I think I'm gonna watch it asap :)

    porcelain-butterflies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need more Korean movies to watch, so I'll add this one to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know what you think after you watch this. I dont know anyone who has seen it yet so im interested to see different perspective~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg please tell me the name of this noodle? I cant find it in asian supermarkets!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can recommend me something I'd be so down checking them out as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just said it hahaha it's called "jjapaghetti" or "chapaghetti" i think theres also one called "jjajangmen" but the jjapaghetti one is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first saw that photo and the word movie I thought it was a movie about this photographer (http://yowayowacamera.com/)! But now that I see its from a Korean movie I want to watch it too. Sounds and looks very interesting.
    Have you heard of The Apology King? It's a Japanese comedy movie and I feel everyone should watch it because it's hilarious hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched that movie on a local channel here in Germany and I really fell in love with it. I first kept watching it, because there was so much humour and irony in the situation of the castaway man, but what really got my attention was the girl in her blog world. "It is not important what is real, it is important what the readers say." was one thing she said (I think) and in some spot I could relate to that. Sometimes you only crave for what the readers would want to read or it's only important how they judge, though I actually think you should blog about the things that you like.
    Anyway, in the end of the movie I got really so excited about if they would meet or not! (Cause I watched a lot of Asian movies that usually were without the happy ending).
    Loved the movie. 10/10 would watch it again :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh the levitating girl!
    I will have to check out Apology King ahaha im in a mood for hilarious movie after watching some Death Parade episodes lol
    Thank you for the rec! :D/

    ReplyDelete
  11. wahaha gomen XD
    I though jjapaghetti was a general term for noodles! And thank you i now proceed to googling jjapaghetti! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. *u* thank you for commenting! Im glad to find someone to share my feelings with this movie. It really is deep and i share the same sentiments about that part on 'blogging' i suddenly miss lurking on cyworld and stealing pixels lol. but anyway, what you said is true.. sometimes, we value pleasing readers more than expressing ourselves, though in the long run we'll realize that we're not happy in that path. This actually happened to me before, and one of the reasons I lost motivation for blogging ~.~
    but now i learn from my mistakes and trying to make amends! nyan~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been meaning to watch Death Parade. Do you rec it for a good "once-in-a-while" watch?

    ReplyDelete
  14. yeah once-in-a-while is good as Im not psychologically ready for that anime lol but maybe you have better tolerance for this genre and enjoy it more :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG my family thinks i'm weird but i watch this movie on netflix so many times. Theres something about it that attracts me, maybe it is the isolation part that i can relate to and maybe the craving for some jjajangmyeon. Its comedic but theres also a lot of deeper elements that makes you think. This movie is A++ in my book, The actors, writer and director did a good job on this, its so unique . Anyway I love your blog so i followed ^-^ Going to watch this movie right now!

    x
    http://siren7.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exactly, I had the same feelings. Once a year I usually start to hate the pathes I take in blogging and then full start over and over again. :D

    And well, I hope to maybe see some other good movie reviews here :P Liked this one really a lot.

    ReplyDelete